Update ESXi 4 standalone server without vCentre
If like me you have the free Vmware ESXi 4 standalone server you’ve probably found that updating it can be a bit tricky without having vCentre handy or a second server to migrate all your VMs to. So here is the process i have just followed to successfully update my 2010 v4.1 server to the latest patch level.
- First of all you need to download the latest update bundle from here.
- Copy the update to the root of one of your datastores.
- Ensure SSH is enabled on your ESXi server.
- shutdown all your VMs.
- Use the client to put ESXi in to maintenance mode.
- use putty to connect to the console on your ESXi server.
- Find the bundle that you downloaded and saved to your datastore:
cd /vmfs/volumes ls cd your-datastore ls
- Now we can verify that the bundle file is okay using this command:
esxupdate check --bundle ./filename_of_bundle.zip
- Now we can install the update:
esxupdate update --bundle ./filename_of_bundle.zip
- followed by a reboot using the vsphere client
- Once the server comes back up you can reconnect with the client, take it out of maintenance mode and start bringing your VMs back up again.
In: Vmware · Tagged with: ESXi, esxupdate, vmware